Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Tuesday 10 December 2013

Random Thoughts During The Lull Before The Storm

AFTER all the noise and fury, following events at Motherwell on Friday night, it's back to the fitba tonight, and Celtic's 2013-14 European finale in Barcelona. It would be terrific if the Hoops could go out on a high, by maybe beating their hosts, but, I am not holding my breath. With all the recent interest on the antics of the small-minded small children in the Celtic Family, the quiet majority deserve a wee lift.
 
 
 
I HAVE long been dismissive, if not downright hostile, to the mental processes, such as they are, and the professionalism of my English colleagues in the Fourth Estate of fitba; but, frankly, it is getting worse.
 
I watched the first half of last night's Manchester United game - the second half had to go, couldn't miss Last Tango In Halifax, but, as I switched over, I was laughing at the negative comments of the talking heads on ITV.
 
Of course, Roy Keane has an anti-United, perhaps anti-Moyes agenda. Not all that deep-down, this so-far prime example of the well-known fact: great players seldom make great managers, is convinced he and not Moyes should be United manager, so, we can treat his comments with kid gloves. But the rest of them -jings crivvens, help ma Boab.
 
I switched over convinced there would only be one winner, and it wouldn't be Shaktar Donesk. For all their pretty football, the visitors never truly panicked the United rearguard; it was only a matter of time before United scored - as they did.
 
United - as with most teams towards the end of a long managerial reign, did need freshening-up this season; the new men Moyes has brought in are still bedding-in. As we up here know from the Old Firm, switching to one of the really big teams, in any league, is never easy.
 
I don't see United making a real impact on Europe this season - but, I do see them finishing near the top in the English League - reports that Moyes cannot cut it at Old Trafford are, like much of the output from the English media, premature and wide of the mark.
 
 
 
THE above said - that was a terrific programme on ITV4 last night, which pitted Mr Keane head-to-head with Patrick Viera. If you missed it, see if you can look it up on the ITVplayer.
 
I would have liked to have watched the following programme, on Didier Drogba, but, at my age, I needed my kip.
 
 
 
AND, while I am having a go at the English Media - when will some responsible section of the Scottish media - no tittering at the back there - enlighten us on the Easdale brothers.
 
We hear a lot of nudge, nudge, gossip and speculation anent the brothers, who have emerged as the would-be Godfathers of the Rangers Family; but, real insight have we none.
 
Surely, somebody, somewhere in the corridors of media power in Scotland has, at some point of late, said to an underling: "Why don't we do a bit of digging and find out who these guys are and what they are about - and I mean more than 'wealth off the radar' and such pish?"
 
The Easdales look likely to be the guys running Rangers for the next wee while - who are they?
 
 
 
BIG Shuggie Macdonald in the Herald did a nice wee interview this morning on Graham "Jammy Bar Steward" Hunter, the Aberdonian who is the go-to man for the British media when they want a Spanish fitba story.
 
I remember Graham when he first appeared in out midst as a young tyro with Scotland on Sunday. Graham didn't assimilate himself into the Borg who cover the Scottish game, he didn't play the Scottish newspaper game and, as such, he was somewhat mistrusted.
 
There were a couple of other youngsters around at the time, who, with Graham, went South and prospered, but, only Graham had the cojones to break the mould and head for Spain, with breath-takingly successful results for him.
 
The other two have been instrumental in lifting the standard of English football writing, but Hunter is that absolute rarity - a Scot who has succeeded in football in Europe. It was nice to see Big Shuggie acknowledging his success this morning.
 
 
 
FINALLY, the success of the blogsphere has brought about a new species - the internet warrior. I know, I am one.
 
Some of us chuck our opinions around willy-nilly; I, for instance, pride myself in having opinions on all aspects of Scottish fitba, even if, not unnaturally, I seem to spend a lot of time on a mere two clubs.
 
There are, however, some bloggers who obsess with one or other of the big two and, of these, perhaps the most-high-profile are my old mate Davie Leggat, of LeggoLand fame and Phil Mac Giolla Bhain.
 
Now, some commentators think Davie and Phil are two cheeks of the same arse, letting rip with a load of shite on a daily basis. Not true.
 
Both are obsessed with Rangers - Davie, because, as past Right Worthy Master of the Lap-Top Loyal, he wears the most-buffed pair of brown brogues in Scotland. He cares about his club and can barely bring himself to type the C word.
 
Phil, on the other hand, claims to be THE tribune to the Celtic Family; he even moved his family back to Donegal because life had become unbearable in Catholic and Celtic-hating Scotland. Yet, he obsesses with the other side, although, his out-pourings are far more readable when he, as he occasionally does, he turns his spotlight on Celtic.
 
Not this week though, with all that has transpired since Friday night, you might have expected his take on things, but, no, silence. How sad.

1 comment:

  1. I just can't warm to Keano, don't ask me why, I can't put my finger on it. Arrogant, selfish, miserable, inept, just to mention a few of his better points. Moyes has a 6 year contract as the current dancing puppet at Old Trafford, he will eventually come good. Besides, we are all aware that oul red nose is still the real force behind the scenes pulling the strings. Keano has more chance of smiling than getting his feet under the table while AF is still kicking his heels. The best thing about Keano is that he doesn't drink in my local. I'd give him 10 minutes with me max before he was welling up with tears.

    ReplyDelete