Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Monday 6 May 2019

A Richly-Deserved Honour

MAYBE it was subliminal messaging, but, back at that Christmas-time, in the 1950s, when I asked for a football strip from Santa, the old guy in the red suit perhaps sowed a seed, when the one he left me was a blue and white hooped one.

"Sir" Stevie Clarke


Or maybe it was because that particular Santa's grotto was in Lauder's department store in Kilmarnock. Any way, back then, I didn't have a senior football team – my fitba heart, then, as now, was pledged to Lugar Boswell Thistle – the mighty “Jaggy Bunnets.” You see, that's the thing in. the East Ayrshire Coalfield. You might troop off to Celtic Park, Ibrox, Rugby Park or Somerset Park on a Saturday, but, your number one team is always the village side.

For my Dad, who was an old Hun, Muirkirk Juniors was his side; it's Lugar for me, while my Grandson, even though he now lives and works in Aberdeen, is still a fully paid-up member of the Glenafton Athletic Barmy Red Army.

So, it has nearly always been Lugar first, Kilmarnock second. I confess, in my teens, lodging with an aunt and uncle in Glasgow, I strayed briefly off the path of truth and decency, beguiled by a slim sorcerer wearing a number six jersey, I was, for a time – A Hun, but, honest, I'm better now, and have been for a long time. It was a brief, teenage crush of which I am suitably ashamed.

This morning, I am delighted to see the great “Sir” Stephen Clarke rightfully honoured, by being named as the PFA Scotland Manager of the Year. He deserves this accolade, in recognition of the way he has turned around our fortunes.

It is not yet certain, but, Killie are looking good for a return to European competition next season, by finishing in the top four in the Premiership. If we remain in our current third spot, it is certain, even dropping to fourth will be sufficient, assuming Celtic beat Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final.

That would be terrific. Clarke has definitely turned things around,brought the fans back and delivered exciting, winning football – but, and how sad there has to be a but, we don't know how long he will hang around his native Ayrshire.

When Stevie came “home”, he perhaps saw it as a chance to rebuild a reputation which had been somewhat tarnished by the weird politics of English football – where he had lost jobs for reasons nothing to do with his proven competence as a manager.

He came home, but, significantly, he left his wife and kids down south; and he has never hidden the fact, he sees his long-term football future as being in England. I wonder, however, if this is still the case.

In an interview, after winning the PFA award, he admitted to having a decision to make – professionally, he is perhaps better-off remaining at Rugby Park, working for his local senior club, with a club owner with whom he has a good reputation, and well away from the instant gratification: “We want success and we want it yesterday,” mindset of the English game.

Or, does he return to his family and the deeper, choppier waters of English football?

Stevie is now 55, I wonder if he would not perhaps be better seeing how far he could take the Kilmarnock project, remaining at Rugby Park for a further two or three seasons, before perhaps taking the Scotland job as he enters his twilight years as a football manager.

I know he is happy that he never had to expose his children to the dark side of Scottish football and life – the sectarianism and bigotry aspect. His family is, I assume, living in some quiet, leafy part of the Home Counties, well, might they not be as happy in one of the more-upmarket parts of Troon, I would suggest.

But, how much longer perhaps will he be willing to tolerate the class system in Scottish football, whereby there is one rule for the Old Firm, and a different rule for everyone else? Football administration, world-wide, appears to be in the hands of the stupid and incompetent, although, it might be argued, nobody does stupidity or incompetence as well (or badly) as the numpties on the sixth floor at Hampden.

Mind you, I am not entirely happy with how he has worked at Kilmarnock. I would rather see him scouring Ayrshire for local talent, rather than bringing loanees north and giving a
chance to guys who have maybe under-performed in England.

But hey, what do I know. I think I will maybe just shut up, enjoy the ride and see how far Stevie can take us.



SOMETHING rare, and to many people wonderful, happened on Saturday – Auchinleck Talbot lost at home!! The mighty 'Bot went down 4-3 to Kirkintilloch Rob Roy
in the semi-final of the West of Scotland Cup.

Well done to the Rabs, a great result for them – they will now meet Beith – who beat Glenafton Athletic in a penalty shoot-out in the other semi, in the final.

Talbot losing like that might turn out to be bad news for Largs Thistle, who are due at Beechwood on Saturday for a league match, which will also be a Junior Cup Final rehearsal. No way will Tucker Sloan want to see his side lose successive home games.


No comments:

Post a Comment