Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Tuesday 16 January 2024

Wanted - A Missionary In God's County

BACK IN the dog days of the last century, I could claim, with justification, that I was: “The last neutral in Ayrshire Football.” As the national newspapers' go-to freelance sports writer in God's County, I would spend one Saturday in the press box at Rugby Park, the next at Somerset Park. At the time, it mattered not a jot, since the clubs were invariably in different divisions.

On the odd occasions when I did have to cover what I called: “The Second Ayrshire Derby” - the Premier such fixture, of course, concerns Auchinleck Talbot and Cumnock Juniors – it was known among my fellow scribes that I leant towards the blue and white half of the County; however, I was never accused of not giving The Honest Men an honest critique. Indeed at a time when Killie often struggled to win a corner, watching Brian McLaughlin creating chances for the likes of Henry Templeton, John Sludden and Tommy Walker was often more fun than listening to the chants of “Sack the Board” 14 miles up the A77.

So, I am somewhat sad to see Lee Bullen parting company with Ayr United. I thought Bullen did well last season, however, professional football is a results-driven business, and the results this season have not matched that of last, so, as inevitably happens in the game, Bullen's time at Somerset Park is over.

Now, the question is – who will his successor be? It's not as if the job is of such a high profile that we will see days or weeks of speculation in the media as to who will get the gig, so I will keep my powder dry, although, there is one name, which I am sure we will see the Glasgow-based fitba hacks running with, which has me saying: “Please, not him”. No names – no pack drill.

From my position, as a proud Ayrshireman who would love to see BOTH of the County teams in the top flight, I would love to see the United board go for a young coach, who is prepared to give the many talented young players in God's County a chance.

For instance, in the past couple of weeks, United has parted company with Fin and Ollie Ecrepont, brothers from a well-known Ayr sporting family, who have won Scotland age group honours. Youngsters such as these should be given every chance to learn, grow and succeed at United, rather than being allowed to depart to lesser clubs.

It used to be that United had a hard core of locals in the team – I would like to see whoever gets the gig go back to that practice, I mean, talent in Ayrshire didn't dry-up when the likes of Robert Connor, Stevie Nicol or Alan McInally, three United youngsters who went on to win full caps, left Somerset Park.

Mind you, the abuse which Bullen has suffered from some of the club's supporters does these so-called fans no favours. I was speaking to one United-supporting friend of mine this week, who admits, he has only been to three games at what we Killie fans dub: “The Piggery” this season. He tells me, he has been sorely scunnered at some of the abuse being heaped on Bullen.

It's not as if United has been a top division club of late. That's the trouble with Scottish football, the pyramid has four “Senior” tiers:

  1. The Premiership – 12 teams

  2. The Championship – 10 teams

  3. League One – 10 teams

  4. League Two – 10 teams

In reality, I reckon these tiers should read:

  1. The Old Firm

  2. Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Kilmarnock

  3. The rest of the Premiership plus Dundee United

  4. Everyone else

Until the “Diddy Teams” grow a pair, work together to curtail the power and inluence of “The Bigot Brothers” and level the playing field, football in Scotland will continue to struggle.





I HAVE never got into Women's Football. I am not one of the dinosaurs who insists the fairer sex (or is it gender these days) shouldn't be allowed to play; also, I hold in tremendous respect the great Scottish ladies such as Elsie Cook, Edna Nellis, Rose Reilly and Julie Fleeting – and that's just the Ayrshire greats – Kim Little, Jen Beattie and Caroline Weir, who have illuminated the game, but, somehow I cannot get as worked-up about our Women's team as I can for the Men's one.

But, and I admit it is a low bar, watching the SWPL highlights show, on BBC Shortbread on Monday night, I thought the great Julie and Jane Lewis did a better job of talking about the games than most of the members of the Lap Top Loyal and the Celtic Family we are normally exposed to. The fitba wasn't that bad either.

Speaking of this, I have seen the national BBC bosses taking heavy flak for the way they are loading the football programmes with female talking heads, some of whom give the impression they are only there because they are female – bringing little or nothing positive to the party. Some critics are suggesting its diversity and equality gone crazy – they may have a point.

When it comes to sports presenters and commentators from the women's side, perhaps we Scots have been spoilt, by the all-round excellence of the likes of Sally McNair, Hazel Irvine, Jill Douglas, Lee McKenzie, Moira Gordon and Alison Walker. All of these ladies could hold their own with anyone, and were a lot better than some of the male talking heads they worked alongside.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment