Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Monday, 3 August 2026

Not The Big Start We Had Hoped For

THIS BLOG HAS consistently, over the past four or five years, held to the belief that – while it has been a factor in the club's lack of success – the fact the men making the big decisions at Ibrox have recruited some Head Coaches/Managers, call them what you like, who in all honestly couldn't manage a shite with the help of caster oil; the fact most of the players they have recruited simply were NRC - Not Rangers Class, has made their job even harder.

I believe Derek McInnes could, if given sufficient time, become a great Rangers' manager. He knows the club, he has built-up to this job and he is a fan in the dug-out. However, in spite of his tinkering with the squad, he is still handicapped by the fact, his squad continues to have places for several players who are simply NRC.

By the way, on the evidence of Friday night at Tannadice, I think that NRC tag refers to the new goalkeeper – he seems to be a level down from Jack Butland, who, for all his many excellent saves, lacked the consistency of a top tier Rangers 'keeper.

Rangers didn't lose, but, merely drawing at Dundee United is not the result the glory-hunters on the terraces are looking for. Honeymoons are short for Old Firm managers.




THE LATE Jim Blair “the Sundance Kid” is still much-missed by those of us who enjoyed his company in the press boxes of Scotland. I recall one of Jim's funniest pieces – a review of the thought processes of the Rangers team, pre-match, in the pre-Souness years. One of the funnier paragraphs had Davie Cooper wondering which version of Davie Cooper would turn-up that afternoon.

From memory, Rangers were playing Aberdeen that day. I suppose, some 45 or so years on, the version of that would have an Aberdeen player wondering what version of the Dons would turn-up for the game. In some ways, Aberdeen is the 21st century version of Partick Thistle, you never know if they're going to turn up and score a big win, or totally embarrass themselves.

However, beating Hearts with a late winner was a good way to begin their league campaign. As for the Edinburgh side, I fear they may struggle for a week or so yet before they find their post-McInnes selves.




I HAVE a couple of sports-writing Buddies, to whom I have been forced to address: Keep the heid messages over the weekend. OK, it might only be for a day or so, but, having St Mirren top of the leagues has got them a wee bit excited. As I have said before, I enjoyed my spell covering the Buddies on a weekly basis and hope they can maintain a top six position all season.




HOWEVER, KILMARNOCK remains my team. I was not happy with their performance in losing a veritable seven-goal thriller at St Johnstone on Sunday.

The cry was, once again, No defenders as defensive frailty cost Killie dear. I might have to turn-up at training and kick Wee Doddsie's erse again. This was simply not good enough.

I am not happy at the fact, Killie had only one Scot in their starting line-up on Sunday. The best Kilmarnock teams have always had a central core of Ayrshire boys, time to get back to that.




WATCH MOTHERWELL; they followed-up a good midweek result in Europe with a win over Hibs in a game which included some good football from both sides. However, on the day, I felt the Steelmen were the more-impressive side.




FINALLY, CELTIC unfurled another title flag, before stumbling to a 1-0 win over a Dundee side which caused them a few problemson the night.

Although not as far off what you might call the club's acceptable standard of performance as their rivals across the city – this is a far from stellar Celtic squad. Of course, these are very-early days, but, one of the Diddy Teams could, if they get off to the right start and develop a bit of belief, make this season a three-horse race.

I just wish our clubs would be a bit more prepared to give native talent a shot. I fear, this could be a long, dreich campaign.




FINALLY – such is my disdain for the numpties who make the big SFA decisions in that sixth-floor corridor at Hampden, I can see 54 UEFA nations standing together, calling for a vote of no confidence in and demanding the removal of Infantino from his job at FIFA.

Meanwhile, standing alone, insisting the embattled Swiss should not be harshly judged and given another chance, we would find – The Scottish Football Association.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment