Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Thursday 14 July 2011

I Hear The Sound Of Distant Drums

OK, WE all know that in this week of July, the sound of drums in Scotland are usually of instruments of the Lambeg variety; but elsewhere the snare drums are beating, calling the combatants to arms, with competitive football kicking off with Dundee United in European action in Poland tonight, before on Saturday, come the first SFL Challenge Cup games.
These Saturday games might only involve the "diddy" teams, but they will at least deflect some attention from the Open Golf and further enhance the realisation that the real stuff is just around the corner - if the often-dire SPL matches are indeed the real thing.
I am none too confident about what this new season will bring - but forward tho I canna see, I guess and fear is almost the default position of the Scottish football fan in July.
Have we addressed the institutionalised bias in favour of the two large Glasgow clubs?
Have we seriously addressed the lack of skill in our domestic game?
Are too many of our clubs still living way beyond their means?
Is our league system of two separate organisations still fit for purpose?
Does that system meet the needs and aspirations of the football public?
All these questions - to which we are still getting the "wrong" answers. I say again: We're awe doomed.
Then there is the sectarian question - which I can never see answered in my lifetime.
As to the question of Scotland qualifying for Euro' 2012 - I am not at all confident. We are now in the situation where, to qualify, Craig Levein and his men simply cannot afford to drop another point, prior to "mission impossible" against Spain in the final game. Can you see this happening? Thought so, me neither.
This almost-inevitable failure will set-off another round of public flagellation, calls for a sacrificial victim - then we will carry-on as before - it's the Scottish football way and I don't see any change soon.
That's why, I wish, for once, those drums calling us to arms for the new season would also call us to arms to actually change a flawed football culture which is leading us to nowhere other than oblivion.
Good luck to United tonight, however - we badly need one of the provincial teams to make a greater impact in Europe.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like doom and gloom for the SPL again, the T of T badly need a decent Euro run and the 2 big boys fae the west must do well also.

    I have a question about club loyalty versus national loyalty, here goes:
    If a Scottish team were in a European final and said Scottish team was the so called enemy of those who you share pints with, do you support the other Scottish team as a representative of Scotland or pray for their demise and ultimate embarrassment in the match?
    As for myself when I see the green or the blue in any euro competition I ALWAYS pull for them, even as a former Tannadice shed boy my dislike for them is put aside and my national pride hat is worn. Maybe it's because I am far removed from the daily grind and sectarian crap that seems to be the world's moniker for Scottish football or maybe it's beacuse I have spent too much time in the sun. Let me know what you think
    Cheers, Sausage...

    ReplyDelete
  2. SFF - the newest post won't accept comments?
    help!!!

    ReplyDelete