Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Tuesday 2 October 2012

From Russia - With Renewed Hope

BEING old enough to appreciate, we've had a lot of false dawns over the long history of Scottish football, I hesitate to say this, but: wasn't that a marvellous result for Celtic, winning in Moscow last night.
 
Of course, it was no Lisbon triumph, however, given Celtic's and indeed Scottish clubs in general's recent history on away trips to Europe, that win was a belter, and all the better for being so-overdue.  As Churchill said of Montgomery's victory at El Alemein: this might perhaps be the end of the beginning - and hopefully Celtic can forge ahead and qualify for the knock-out stages.
 
We still all expect Barcelona to top the group, but, I see no reason why Celtic cannot edge out Benfica for the second qualifying spot. A great result for Neil Lennon and his Bhoys.
 
 
 
AND while we are at it, getting Steven Fletcher back onside was a great result for Craig Levein and Scotland. As I have pointed out before, however, Scotland has a horrible record against the Belgians in qualifying groups, while we have, the 1950s apart, never been comfortable visitors to Cardiff - so we must guard against expecting too-much from the return of Fletcher S, and also the equally welcome return to the squad of skipper Fletcher D.
 
But, things are looking up and, who knows, perhaps some day we will look upon 2 October, 2012 as one of the red letter days in Scottish football history.
 
 
 
MIND you, it wasn't an entirely good day for your humble scribe. A week later than planned, I made my return to the playing side of the game, with my debut in the Slow Football, at Prestwick.
 
Apart from the small matter of strained ligaments in my left ankle, courtesy of a heroic turn to sweep away a thrust down the right, which saw my premature retirement in the second half, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
 
It is called Slow Football, because - since all the players have to be at least 55 years of age - the game is played at walkiong pace; you simply are not allowed to run. OK, you may walk briskly, but, to run is to concede a foul.
 
The game is therefore all about accurate passing and good movement off the ball. It is also a good laugh and I will be back next week. We played three, 20-minute sessions, the first was a 5-5 draw, the second a 3-3 draw, but we won the third on 3-2.
 
I didn't score, but contributed 5 of our 12 shots which rattled the opposition's woodwork, missed two sitters worse than big Chris Iwelumo's memorable effort, but, playing mainly as a sweeper, I had a clutch of last-gasp interceptions, and four goal line clearances.
 
I will be back and recommend Slow Football to all Over-55s who have perhaps let themselves go.
 
However, the ankle strain has not gone down too well with "Management", who fears I might not be fit for our weekly ballroom dancing class.

1 comment:

  1. It would be pure brand new for Celtic to forge ahead and unite the people of Scotland in supporting the positive side of life in such a grand place in which we choose to live.

    ReplyDelete