Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Thursday 10 January 2013

Ranting Ranging Raging Charlie

THERE has been a void in my life since wee Davie Leggat's blog 'Leggoland 2" was forced off-line recently, I miss his pro-Rangers, anti-Celtic rants, they were ill-informed, but entertaining. But, yesterday, I think I found where wee Davie, the Bluenose's Bluenose, had taken himself off to. I feel he has a new - and I hope well-paid gig as Charlie Green's speech writer.

Charlie Boy's latest rant - about possibly taking Rangers elsewhere if they are not immediately placed in the new 12-club "Championship" league when the re-drawn senior game kicks off, perhaps in August - is probably his worst example yet of playing to the gallery; or to be precise the claque/rump of that time-dishonoured group the Wee Arra Peepul. This group, the worst examples of Ibrox imperialism are incapable of accepting the reality of their club's present situation, and that reality is, they don't deserve to be in the new 'Championship' on their club's playing record.

If, as we now expect, Rangers win SFL Division III at the end of this season - if there was to be no change in the leagues set-up and the status quo was maintained, when season 2013-2014 kicks off, Rangers will be - on paper - the 32nd-ranked team in Scotland. Now old Charlie Sturrock, my long-dead mathematics teacher at school would quite rightly line me up for four of the best, were I to try to argue that 32nd is one of the top 24 places in any pecking order.

There might be a case for putting Rangers into the 'Championship' IF as with the Greed is Good SPL, ground capacity and facilities become part of the consideration for a place in the two top leagues, the 'Premiership' and 'Championship'; but, as yet we don't know if this will happen. And if having what we might call SPL compliance, then Airdrie, whose New Broomfield (or whatever it is called this week) ground is also SPL-compliant and who are ranked above Rangers in the current pecking order, have greater call on one of the top 24 places. Also, I don't see those hadnful of non-SPL-compliant clubs who are ranked above Rangers being too-happy if they are demoted below them and miss-out on the perceived riches to be had from entertaining the Ibrox hordes in league games.

No, in this instance, my advice is: shut up Charlie, work your way up through the ranks with the perceived "dignity" which Rangers have always shown.

That said - the whole 12-12-18 plan is a joke and a non-starter. It will make not a jot of difference to Scotland's slipping place in world football. We are still heading down the stank at a great rate.  

1 comment:

  1. I will have to admit that I am bewildered by this 'dignity' that the now defunct Glasgow R*ngers FC (RIP) is alleged to have always shown. Even you must have chuckled as you tapped the keys on this one. Dignity never exisited outside of the dressing room, it certainly never made it on to the park, that much is true. Both Google and Wikipedia declined to define 'dignity' as cheating, kicking lumps out of opposing players, shaking hands with those in black using their thumbs in the downward position before the kick off.

    I play a few holes of a certain course reguarly with a smashing fella by the name of Walter Smith. Now this is a man with real dignity. I remember applauding him as he made his way through the crowds at Tommy Burns funeral with his head held high and his mouth closed. Big Wattie made many friends on that sad day. That said, I can never truthfully remember the remainder of the zombie squad ever making me feel proud of my country.

    Unlike the Celtic.

    The 12 - 12 - 18 pish is just that... pish. It is a rehash that has had little thought by the trumpets that earn big money by truly not being able to understand Scottish fitba. I have little interest in anything outside of the SPL, that goes without having to explain.

    ReplyDelete