Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Monday 5 August 2013

The SFA Has Rules - Never

I COULDN'T be bothered reading the piece. there's just something about the whole paper which turns me off, but, apparently, the Daily Mail has a story that SFA rules will prevent Paul Murray from returning to the Rangers board, should all the cards fall in his favour during ther latest round of Ibrox in-fighting.

I said lang syne - this whole Rangers soap opera would run for years and the only winners would be the lawyers - nothing has persuaded me to change that view, Mind you, SFA rules, gie's a brek, these are made-up as they go along. For as long as Campbell Ogilvie is still SFA President, they can do nothing about the constant embarrassment which Rangers have become.



APPARENTLY there were all sorts of problems with technology at the weekend, wqith BBC Scotland looking even more foolish than usual. It was all PA's fault apparently. I am not surprised, a decade ago, when PA first put their exclusive phone lines with their special phones into Scottish press boxes, helping-out a mate by doing PA for him at a game, I couldn't get through on the dedi ated line for over half an hour; so I simply stopped trying.

Sure enough, at half-time, I got an angry and indignant call from some jobsworth on the PA football desk, berating me for my lack of contact. I simply told him: "sort-out your technology and I'll get back to you - otherwise, you phone me".

Maybe if today's young journalists had the balls to do that, things would improve. It is always the guy on the ground's fault to the desk jockeys, sometimes you have to put them (the djs) in their place.

It doesn't help that PA today uses mainly ex-footballers for their match coverage, nice guys, but sometimes not the sharpest, particularly when things go wrong. Of course, the way BBC Scotland has cut backroom staff to the bone, while paying big money for authoritative talking heads such as Murdo MacLeod to say pretty much nothing, doesn't help.



I'll finish with an old joke: What about football in Edinburgh?

Don't know, aye, it might catch on.

No comments:

Post a Comment