Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Monday 27 May 2013

Well Done Neil Lennon - Two Out Of Three Aint Bad

WILL Hibs ever beat their Scottish Cup Jinx? You have to wonder after Sunday's loss to Celtic.

But, that's an aside - well done Celtic on their Double; really, it should have been a Treble, but, to quote Meatloaf: "Two out of three aint bad".

In particular, wee done Neil Lennon. After losing the League Cup Final to St Mirren, perhaps even Neil was beginning to wonder about his team's mental toughness; their habit of switching-off in some domestic games. This was one of Hibs' big hopes for Sunday - that the real Celtic would fail to turn-up, so well done Neil for getting his team onto the park with the correct mental attitude to see the job through.

Now he can relax for maybe a couple of days, before he has to start planning for the new season. He could lose one or two players to the English Premiership; he will have to overcome the inadequacies in his squad and the Celtic Family will, at the very least, demand two trophies and a last 16 Champions League place as the bottom line for next season. I suspect NL will be looking for a domestic treble and a quarter-final Champions League place as evidence of progress.

At that level, you're only as good as your last campaign.



IT WILL be interesting to see how the political situation plays out over the summer. I have no great faith in the SFA blazers giving us the lead we need in Scotland; I see more posturing, posing and pish being our lot.

Meanwhile - our game will continue to go down hill.



John Daly is a very brave big boy.

There's nothing else to say really.



I SEE one or two of the Rangers-obsessed blogs are calling for Dave King to be immediately co-opted onto the Rangers board, and maybe even drafted-in as chairman in place of the troubled Malcolm Murray.

I wonder, given his much-publicised travails with the South African tax authorities, would Mr King pass a "fit and proper person test"; indeed, given the way the likes of Craig Whyte, and one or two others, have been able to take charge of Scottish teams - is there a "fit and proper person test" at Hampden.

Or does the correct hand-shake still count for more in the corridors of football power in this fair land?

1 comment:

  1. I would like to have said that it was a superb game and that I was proud to have been there watching my team do the double. That would be a lie. I watched the game from home. I never go back on my word. The blazers of Hampdung will no see a penny more of my money.

    With that bitter bile nicely spat from my mouth I shall carry on.

    Well done to Lenny and the young fellas, not the best I have seen them play, but enough to bring home the silverware and claim the double. Hibs, in fairness, started well but soon fell under the first wave of attack fae Hooper and co. Honour was satisfied, at least it was an all green final, no a hint of cheaters blue in sight.

    If Lenny stays or Lenny goes, it is out of my hands so no worth worrying about. I would prefer to see Hooper and Wanyama away if the badge on their chest is not enough to keep them wearing the green. What do I know? I'm a dinosaur still stuck firmly in the past where playing for pride no longer exists.

    No comment from me on the Rankers, they are truly dead, just no buried as yet, therefore of little interest to myself. However, you know the answer to your last question. A handshake a day will truly keep the honest fitba fans at bay.

    ReplyDelete