Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Monday 11 November 2013

Remember Them All, Not Just One Or Two - It's A Team Game

BY A nice piece of timing, Rememberance Week usually also sees the annual Scottish Football Hall of Fame induction dinner. This year's event, the tenth, was held on Sunday night, with a further six worthies inducted into the HoF.
 
The main talking point, at least if you read The Scotsman, was the long-overdue induction of pre World War I Hearts Superstar Bobby Walker - no complaints from me on that count, indeed, on any count; the other five new comers are all well worth their places.
 
Halls of Fame are a North American invention - they had to invent someone to try to cover-up their own lack of history. I quite like them, but, of course, as with sport, worthiness for induction is always a potential cause for disagreement - opinion being the main fule which fuels the sports-reporting industry.
 
I have long felt that, football being a team game, regardless of the particular talents of the truly great, there has to be cognisance taken of the input of the less-talented.
 
For instance, I have no quarrel with the fitness of Hughie Gallacher, Alex James and Alan Morton to be inducted, but, their greatest feat was as three-elevenths of the immortal Wembley Wizards - so, given the significance of the events of 31 March, 1928 on Scottish Football History, why isn't every "Wizard" in the HoF and not just the select few?
 
Similarly, the greatest feat by a Scottish club team was Celtic's European Cup Win in 1967. No quarrel about the right of Bobby Murdoch, Billy McNeill, Jinky and Co - those already inducted, to be amongst the immortals in the Hampden HoF, but, as with the Wizards, there is surely a case for inducting the other Lions ASAP.
 
Indeed, you could well add that the Barcelona Bears and the Gothenburg Giants should also be indcted en masse, God alone knows when next we will be celebrating a Scottish club winning one of the big European trophies.
 
 
 
SO, Rangers have a(nother) new chairman. Am I alone in thinking getting into the big chair at the head of the board-room table at Ibrox is becoming a kind of Bum (on seat) of the Month campaign, or, eventually, will every single Bear get his chance in the captain's chair on the ship called (nae) Dignity.
 
 
 
AND just in case anyone thnks I'm going soft on Celtic - regardless of claims of police brutality and heavy-handedness, don't events in Amsterdam kind of undermine the moral superiority which the Celtic Family has tried to claim since Manchester?
 
Or, as Big Billy told Wee Sean down in our local at the weekend: "We're still a bigger club than you - for every five hooligans you've got, we've got ten".

3 comments:

  1. Rumour has it that many of the alleged Celtic shirt wearing fans were actually a mish mash of rival hooligans from the Netherlands. Now I'm not saying that my lot are lilly white, far from it. However, when the story is relayed to me straight from the lips of my local bobby, then I start to believe it.

    Nobody would ever accuse you of being soft on Celtic my friend. When the only alternative is to support a team such as Sevco, what choice does a man really have in Glasgow if he is to hang on to his self respect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He could be like me and support Glasgow Warriors - I like their Unique Selling Point, as per the SRU adverts: "The only professional sports team which represents the whole of Glasgow".

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a point sir, I'm no stranger to the Warriors style of play, although I will admit to being a Munster supporter for my sins.

    ReplyDelete