Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Saturday 20 September 2014

Scotland The Feart

I have long held a deep mistrust of politics and politicians. As one who grew-up watching Ayrshire Junior Football, and played in a few Ayrshire rugby Derbies, I know a dirty game when I am involved in one - but, not one of the countless "Games of Shame", in which inter-village animosity got out of hand can come close in blatant, under-handed nastiness to the average political discourse between parties.
This was particularly true of  this week's referendum. OK, I am a sick-to-the-back-teeth, down-in-the-dumps Yes voter; I am one of the 45% who voted Yes, but saw enough of you conned by the empty promises of a one-eyed failed PM from Fife and three rich posh boys, up for the day on a flying visit from the Wastemonster cess-pit, egged-on by over-promoted stamp-lickers and snake-oil salesmen and women who are the members of the North British Regional Committee of the Labour Party - or, NB Loco as I term them.
Their lies caused Scotland to be sold down the river. I never for a moment thought an independent Scotland would be a land flowing with milk and honey; I well knew, even as I put my X in the Yes box, that, even if we won, the British Empire's remaining rump on the banks of the Thames would make getting away extremely difficult. I knew, as they did with that last-minute Vow in the Daily Retard, that  Britannia would waive the rule, and, I sensed, as so-often in the past - when faced with a real chance to make a difference - Scotland would bottle it.
We have history, a lengthy history, of bottling things: Scotland the Brave, no, far-too-often, we are Scotland the Feart.
The lesson is in our history. Wallace was betrayed by Scotland's self-interested Norman barons. There were a few battles with the English where Scotland held the high ground, had the greater numbers, but, decided to get tore-in and got torn to pieces.
You read the wording of the 1707 Act of Union and see the reality and what it has become - again. Perfidious Albion signed-up for one thing, then we let them impose something else.
I hope, when we don't get the extra poweers promised by Broon and the Three Amigos, those who bought the package remember.
Then there is our glorious sporting history. Now, I am not thinking too-clearly right now; I am too wound-up and wounded by what happened on Thursday, but - think of Scotland's greatest sporting moments in team sports, those wins which have gone down in legend and are celebrated.
The Wembley Wizards, 1967, World Cup 1974,  the Calcutta Cup "Grudge" match of 1990.
Of these, only the Murrayfield one counts as a genuine victory. That day, we took away the Calcutta Cup and the Grand Slam. The Wizards game was for the Home International Wooden Spoon. The 1967 game was a European Championship qualifier - we didn't qualify. World Cup 1974 - unbeated, but, we didn't qualify for the knock-out phase.
See the pattern, we win, but still we lose.
We lost again on Thursday, then we lost on Friday when Alex Salmond quit. I love Wee Eck, I had the pleasure of subbing his weekly horse racing column on The Scotsman for a time - he was a joy to work with.
After Thursday, I see him as almost a William Wallace figure, he took us to the brink, but, he was let down by his lesser rivals, who sold-out to English interests.
I hope Nicola Sturgeon, a genuine North Ayrshire "Nippy Sweetie" will become our Bruce and see us home to FREEDOM.
But, hey, I'm Scottish. Forward, tho ah canna see, ah guess and fear.
Meanwhile, I have decided, I can no longer stand throughout Flower of Scotland, when it is played before sporting internaitonals - the thought of it being roared out by "90-minute patriots" who had the chance to change this land on Thursday and bottled it sickens me.
So, when FoS strikes up, and the rest of the Tartan Army stands, I shall remain seated and silent. However, when we reach the second verse: that bit that goes:
"But we can still rise now - and be the nation again, that stood against him, proud Edwar's Army, and sent them homeward, tae think again",
Then, I will be on my feet and bawling it out, because, as one of the 45% who voted Yes, I will mean it.
Rant over.

1 comment: