Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Monday 6 April 2015

Rangers Captain Sent Off - shockeroonie!!!

JINGS, crivvens, help ma Boab! What is happening in Scottish football, when a Rangers captain cops a red card in a vital game? Who says Scottish football will never change.
Still, fair play to the Rangers Tribute Act, they showed much of the spirit we oldies expected of real Rangers, in seeing-out that second half, short-handed, to win the game. This, of course, demonstrates the value of a real manager in charge and I now expect the RTA to be in the Premiership next season - via the play-offs of course.


I SAID in my last post, Gary Locke would need good luck as Killie boss. Sure enough, no sooner is he appointed, that Gary sees his side lose to struggling Motherwell.
I knew this would happen, in 50-years of being a Killie fan, I have seen this movie before - frequently.
MUCH talk at the moment about moving the Scottish season. Count me in. Of course, this monumental change has to be very carefully thought through before it is implemented, and that's where I start to worry.
Scottish football has a long and not very distinguished history of rushing into change, not thinking things through and making a bad situation worse. We cannot afford to let this be another example of this frequent failing.
MUCH talk too about Charlie Adam's brilliant goal on Saturday. I must admit, I enjoyed my old mate Ken Smith's take on it in this morning's Herald Diary: suggesting, since it came to a choice of running with the ball, or simply hoofing it up the park, what was Charlie more-likely to do: yup - belt it up the park he did, to great effect.
I have seen that sort of goal before, most-memorably when big Jackie McInally (Rambo's more-talented Dad) scored from his own half, for Killie against Motherwell at Rugby Park back in 1960.
Mind you, big Jackie scored his goal, with a soaking-wet Thomson T-ball, on a dark December afternoon, into the teeth of a hurricane-driven rain storm.



AS someone who spent the best part of a decade following St Mirren for the Paisley paper, I have a soft spot for the Buddies. I fear, however, they may not be able to avoid the drop this season. An ominous gap has opened up, and, the Buddies are rapidly running out of games in which to bridge it.

Still, Saints have been relegated before and bounced back. I am sure they will be able to do so again, although, the Championship next season will perhaps be a more-competitive league than it has been this term.

Morton might be back in the Championship next season too, which will be another complication for the Buddies - should they be relegated.

Any points lost over four Renfrewshire Derbies could be costly.






No comments:

Post a Comment