Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Saturday 27 June 2015

A Game (Even A Women's One) Lasts 90 Minutes, Then Half An Hour's Extra Time, Then Penalties, And The Germans Win

THE television was so uninspiring last night - I'm not that interested in Glastonbury, anything after about 1975 is far too modern for me - I was forced onto BBC3 to watch the Germany v France match from the Women's World Cup.
 
I had hoped to avoid the BBC's coverage of this tournament. Not that I am agin Women's fitba, with four daughters and one grand-daughter, I cannot afford to be; but, I am agin the BBC's normal policy in such events, be they for men or women, of losing all objectivity an becoming cheerleaders for Engurland, Engurland, Engurland!!
 
However, I joined last night's game for the second half, and can honestly say: I saw better fitba in that one game than in a season of the SPFL. Also, there was little in the way of shirt-pulling, over-the-ball "tackling" and no rolling about as if shot after a hard challenge.
 
If the player' conduct is typical of women's fitba, then it is the men who are: "the big girls's blouses".
 
As ever, once it got to penalties - you could have bet the house on the frauleins seeing-off the madamoselles. 
 
Good, well-hit penalties they were too, significantly the one badly-hit shot was saved, so, the French were out. However, how typical of the Germans; they didn't play well, but, they hung-in there, got a break with the penalty, then turned the screw.
 
By the way, the Canadian referee made one or two wee errors, but, tel the truth, I doubt if even an Auchinleck Talbot defender with a grievance would have questioned her. To quote the old Scottish saying; I widnae like tae tak a broken pey hame tae her.
 
 
 
LEE McCulloch for Kilmarnock. Speaking as a Killie fan: "No Gary, no, no, never"!!!
 
"Elbows" did a great job for the Rangers Tribute Act in leading them to League Two and  League One titles. In those two seasons, he played and acted like an old-school "Real" Rangers captain. However, last season, in the Championship, he was found-out.
 
Towards the end of last season, Lee suddenly looked even older than his 37-years. To be blunt - he had gone. If he could not cut it in the Championship, how can Gary Locke expect him to do a job in the Premeirship?
 
Of course, he has signed as a player-coach. As such, I suppose he might be able to do an effective job in the reserves and during Monday to Friday training, but, if Gary Locke expects Lee McCulloch to do a job in the first team - I fear he maybe is about to discover, he has made a mistake.
 
 
 
A SIMILAR situation might be about to engulf new RTA boss Mark Warburton, who seems intent on bringing John Eustace to Glasgow, and making him captain.
 
Eustace has never been anything more than a journeyman in English football. He is now 35, which is a bit old to switch to the different style of play in the Championship. I cannot see it working.
 
Also, bringing in a guy with a proven track record as a captain, such as a Terry Butcher or a Richard Gough can work. I suggest Mr Eustace is not quite in that class as a player or leader.
 
Lee Wallace would be my first choice as Rangers' captain. He has put-in the time, he has the ability as a player, he has done the job. Even Danny Wilson, who led Hearts last year, and has a track record at Rangers, would, for me, be a better choice.
 
Captains, even Old Firm captains, are not what they once were. Today's arm band-wearers don't have the same status as a Stein, a McNeill or an Aitken on one side or a Young, Greig or Gough on the other. But, these two clubs still need an on-field leader with a proven track record - I don't know if Mr Eustace will fit that need.
 
 
 
YESTERDAY, I had my first chance to speak with one of my daughter's Partick Thistle-supporting partner. I, of course, raised the thorny issue of the new Jags' mascot.
 
He shook his head and said: "Well, we have to do something outrageous to get noticed, with all that media attention focused on the Bigot Brothers, but, for me, this is a mad scheme too far."
 
I also liked the tweet which was widely quoted, about Lisa Simpson letting herself go.
 
I am sure the lads in the Jackie Husband Stand will come up with something original and witty to say about the new mascot, once hostilities commence.

No comments:

Post a Comment