Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Tuesday, 15 September 2026

New Beginnings And The Same Old Same Old

TIME WILL TELL, and hopefully, results for the Scotland team will qualify new Honcho Sebastian Pocognoli for a place in those pub quiz “Name ten famous Belgians” lists.

The new Head Coach has maintained a modicum of progression, by retaining 14 members of the 2026 World Cup squad, from which there were always going to be changes, given the injuries to the likes of Scott McTominay and Lawrence Shankland and the way some others have drifted away from regular club games under new management.

Pocognoli has named seven uncapped players in his first squad, which is:

Goalkeepers

Scott Bain Falkirk
Angus Gunn San Jose Earthquakes
Liam Kelly Rangers
Jon McCracken* Bradford City

Defenders

Luis Binks Brondby
Josh Doig Sassuolo
Colby Donovan Celtic
Luke Graham Stoke City
Jack Hendry Al Ettifaq
Aaron Hickey Brentford
Scott McKenna Dinamo Zagreb
Nathan Patterson* Torino
Andy Robertson Tottenham Hotspur
Kieran Tierney Celtic
Stephen Welsh Swansea City

Midfielders

Ryan Christie AFC Bournemouth
Lewis Ferguson Bologna
Billy Gilmour* Napoli
Lennon Miller Udinese
Kenny McLean Norwich City
John McGinn Aston Villa
Josh McPake Heart of Midlothian

Forwards

Kieron Bowie Sassuolo
Findlay Curtis Rangers
Ben Gannon-Doak AFC Bournemouth
Oli McBurnie Hull City
Robbie Ure Sevilla
James Wilson Heart of Midlothian

Whenever custody of the poisoned chalice that is the Scotland job changes hands, the relevant quote from Burns tends to be: “And forward tho' I canny see, I guess and fear”. Stevie Clarke will be a hard act to follow, but I wish the Belgian all the luck in the world, he's going to need it.







NOW I AM off the tools on a regular basis, I amuse myself by becoming a complaining old fart. “They'd never have got away with that when I was a boy” is something I say regularly as I peruse the efforts of today's working journalists.

That was certainly my thinking as I reviewed the SFA website this week and how they covered the draw for the First Round Proper of The Scottish Gas Men's Scottish Cup. The big brains along Hampden's Sixth Floor Corridor of Numpties pulled out all the stops, getting Raith Rovers' Paul Hanlon and Gordon Duncan (or should that perhaps be Gordon Who?) to make the draw.

The bulk of the website piece was all about Hanlon, who with the best will in the world, while he did make one full international appearance for Scotland, has never been more than a competent journeyman.

The news aspect of the story was the actual draw, they ought to have focussed on that rather than a puff piece on Paul. Any way, the draw is:

Scottish Gas Men's Scottish Cup First Round Draw

Beith Juniors v Huntly
Bo’ness United v Irvine Meadow XI
Bonnyton Thistle v East Stirlingshire
Brechin City v Buckie Thistle
Caledonian Braves v Fraserburgh
Civil Service Strollers v Formartine United
Clachnacuddin v Bonnyrigg Rose
Cumnock Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot
Cowdenbeath v Berwick Rangers
Deveronvale v Troon
Dunipace v Preston Athletic
Forres Mechanics v University of Stirling
Gala Fairydean Rovers v Largs Thistle
Haddington Athletic v Cumbernauld Colts
Hill of Beath Hawthorn v Glasgow University
Keith v Stonehaven
Kirkintilloch Rob Roy v Banks O’Dee
Linlithgow Rose v Clydebank
Lochee United v Inverurie Loco Works
Musselburgh Athletic v Lossiemouth
Nairn County v Gretna 2008
Newton Stewart v Johnstone Burgh
Penicuik Athletic v Kilwinning Rangers
Pollok v Albion Rovers
Renfrew v Broxburn Athletic
Rothes v Brora Rangers
Strathspey Thistle v Dalbeattie Star
Tayport v Wick Academy
Threave Rovers v Invergordon
Tranent v Turriff United

The obvious plum tie is the clash at Townhead Park of old foes Cumnock and Auchinleck Talbot, but there are one or two long distance meetings – Nairn County v Gretna 2008, Threave Rovers v Invergordon and Strathspey Thistle v Dalbeattie Star, to name but three. Bo'ness United and Irvine Meadow may no longer be the Junior Giants they once were, but there is enough history in that one to get excited.

Bonnyton Thistle v East Stirlingshire perhaps better than any other tie sums up the difference the establishment of the pyramid in Scottish football has made. You could never have seen that tie a decade ago. None of the 60 clubs involved is likely to still be in the running when the competition reaches its climax next year, but, for the moment, they can dream, and that's what fitba is all about.





ONE OF the regular readers of this pish, like me a distinguished alumnus of the finest Ayrshire Academy, contacted me on Sunday, following Rangers' win over the other lot, to enquire if I would be giving my opinion on the game. Like the vast majority of our Academicals, he is of a Rangers' persuasion – I am aware of a couple who sport green-tinged spectacles, but, the rest of us regard them with kindly scorn – accidents happen in even the best-ordered families.

I shall say only in the matter of Sunday's Ibrox game, perhaps Del Boy will be a millionaire, this time next year; however, I doubt that Celtic could be that bad again, moreover, should Rangrers emerge from this weekend's Celtic Park collision with even a point, then I could concede that perhaps the tide was turning.

In the aftermath, I must say, I have been thinking of a meme, popular on social media platforms such as Facebook – of Battery Sergeant Major Williams of It Aint Half Hot Mum, insisting: “Never have I seen such a blatant exhibition of poofery” as he reviewed the concert party's latest show.

The equivalent, in 2026, might be someone reviewing the follow-up to Sunday, and in particular the reaction of The Celtic Family to defeat: Never have I seen such a blatant display of Whitabootery.

For my part, I am more concerned with events at Rugby Park, where, to say Kilmarnock is struggling is to be guilty of under-statement. I was not at all surprised that Killie should lost a penalty shoot-out, this is a club which, after all, once went almost a decade without being awarded a penalty in open play – back in my younger days. I was, however, disgusted with the ineptitude shown by the penalty-takers against Aberdeen.

However, as a Rugby Parker since the 1950s, I was even-more disgusted by their inability to make the most of a one-man advantage for half an hour of normal time, plus the same of extra time – at home!!!

I have a lot of time for Neil McCann as a coach, I've kent wee Billy Dodds since he was at school, once kicking his erse after he announced that my oldest daughter had “an awfy nice bum” and here again, I hold him in high regard as a Coach. However, questions have to be asked over the managerial team's eye for a player – there are guys in that Killie team who would struggle to get a regular game in a good Ayrshire junior team.

This could be a long, cold and anxious winter for we Rugby Parkers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment