Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Friday 27 June 2014

Beware The Germans As Things Get Interesting

NOW that England and the other diddy teams have gone home, we can maybe start to enjoy the World Cup. Mind you, I was forced to listen to Radio 5 Live last night as I travelled by car during the Germany v USA game, and they were still reflecting what was happening on the pitch through an England prism - but, I suppose they will never learn.
 
There hasn't, as yet, been a team which has shouted out: "It's out World Cup" through the process of playing breath-taking football. Holland's destyruction of an out-of-sorts Spain was, definitely, the performance of the group stages - but - will the Dutch be able to remain united and focussed all the way to the final? Or will their demons rise to derail them?
 
I fancy the Brazilians will, at some stage, wilt under the crushing pressure of expectations, but, fancy that the combination of the wonderful Messi, Higuara and Di Maria just might be enough to counter-balance a porous Argentinian defence in which Zaballetta is emerging as the ultimate gap plugger. 
 
And, of course, there are the Germans. I would say, it will be one from these four that will emerge victorious.  I know, hardly incisive tipping.
 
 
 
I WILL be interested to see how Barry Ferguson gets on as pl;ayer-manager at Clyde. I have never deviated from my belief that he is the lesser Ferguson brother. For me, Derek was always the better player; he looked, at one time, set for a good coaching career, before being blown off-course by his travails trying to fit a full-time, professional, mind-set into working with a part-time Scottish set-up.
 
Derek has found a niche as one of the better voices on BBC Scotland's Sportsound, but,this is, to me, a severe waste of talent. I would love to see the Ferguson brothers united at Clyde, bringing one of Scotland's great wee clubs back to the top.
 
 
 
DAVID Taylor's death this week was tragic, a good man taken, far too soon. Taylor was one of the better Hampden "blazers", but, in his case, this should not be taken as faint priase.
 
He was head-hunted to UEFA, to higher things, and, how many Hampden man has that happened to? He was also a proud Tartan Army foot soldier - one of the good guys.
 
 
 
THERE are no Scottish referees at the World Cup. I cannot help but feel, some of our top guys are every bit as good as the referees in Brazil, but, they are not being picked.
 
Might this, perhaps, have something to do with the fact that Hugh Dallas was treated badly over "Popegate"!? when he was sacrificed on the altar of indignation at a wee badly-timed jest, which didn't go down well with the unco guid.
 
Hughie is still involved in refereeing at UEFA. I just wonder, if maybe the referees are getting back at the SFA for their treatment of one of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment