Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Monday 2 June 2014

We Lost - Blame Me

THAT'S it - I have been telt by some of the field officers of the Afton Army: I am banned from attending future Glenafton Athletic Junior Cup Finals. The Glen have now been in five Junior Cup Finals, I have witnessed the four they have lost - to Irvine Meadow in 1962, Auchinleck Talbot in 1992, Largs in 1994 and Saturday's loss to Hurlford United. I missed the only one they have won, against Tayport in 1993.

So, the troops have decided, I am a jinx and I have now been banned, sine die.

Big Ryan McChesney's inexperience was exposed when he gave away the first penalty, after two minutes. I thought Ross Robertson was already on the way down when McChesney helped him on his way. The fact the 'Ford front man was heading away from goal, only makes big Chessy's poor decision-making worse.

I thought Chessy was hung out to dry with his second penalty concession and red-carding. I thought at the time, any contact was outside the box. Eldest daughter, watching back home in New Cumnock, says there was no contact.

However, referee Colin Steven, who gave the Glen nothing, from start to finish, was seemingly looking for an excuse to red-card Chessy, and duly did. The referee was a disgrace; it was a case of - a Glenafton player fouls a Hurlford one, free-kick and yellow card. A Hurlford player fouls a Glenafton one, possibly a free-kick, and a: "don't do it again" lecture.

If this is the standard of referee the SFA is promoting, we are all doomed.

That said, the better team won. Even had Glenafton kept all 11 men on the park, and had the hapless official been a bit more even-handed in his officiating, 'Ford would still have won.

I am delighted for Darren Henderson, who, in spite of all the furore about his pre-season switch of clubs, remains a thoroughly-likeable guy, who said and did all the right things.

Tommy Bryce, to be fair, lacks the Henderson chutpah, but, is a thoroughly solid and dependable operator. His rebuilding of Glen this season has been remarkable and, I am sure, the club will do well again next season.

Finally, I understand Sunday's final was the last for SJFA assistant secretary Joe Black, who is finally retiring, with Ian McQueen, big Gordon's elder brother, taking-up the dual role of SJFA assistant secretary and treasurer.

Joe should have been put out to grass years ago. He was an example of the arrogant, old school Hampden blazer - the game is better without him. I shall not miss him and his petty, nit-picking arrogant ways.



ROY Keane has, apparently, knocked back the chance to manage Celtic. I think the Celtic Family dodged a bullet there.

No comments:

Post a Comment