Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Sunday 8 May 2016

Derby Days Could Be Back On The Cards At Rugby and Somerset Parks

THIS blog does not generally do betting “tips”. I have religiously avoided bookmakers for years, ever since my late father and I got lucky with a 50-1 outsider in the Grand National many moons ago.
Having come out ahead on that bet, I resolved not to ever give the bookies a chance to get me back, it is one of the few resolutions I have managed to keep.
But, I have to say, after Ayr United seeing-off Peterhead yesterday, to set-up a Championship promotion decider with Stranraer: get your money on whichever of Falkirk and Hibs has to play Killie in the Premiership promotion final.
Because, I firmly believe, it is written in the stars that there will be Ayrshire Derbies in the Championship next season.
 Ayrshire Derby action could return next season


HAD results gone other ways, this afternoon's clash of Aberdeen and Celtic might have been in effect a title decider. As it is, Aberdeen need to win big at Celtic Park (we are talking something like 35-0 here), then hope St Johnstone and Motherwell also beat Celtic, while Aberdeen themselves can beat Hearts and Ross County in their final two games. That combination of results simply is not going to happen.
The best Aberdeen can hope for is a rare Parkhead win, to keep the uncertainty going for another week, but, the reality is – after their final home game, against Motherwell, the Celtic Family will party and Ronnie Deila will depart Scotland as a winner.
Then, hopefully early enough to allow him to have a sorted squad for the Champions League qualifiers, whoever succeeds Ronnie will be enthroned, and can start the much-needed cull of the bloated Celtic squad.
The 2015-16 Celtic First Team squad poster - how many will be in the 2016-17 one? 

No comments:

Post a Comment