Socrates MacSporran

Socrates MacSporran
No I am not Chick Young, but I can remember when Scottish football was good

Monday 16 May 2016

Not A Super Show But Ayr United Are Promoted

I MIGHT be a Kilmarnock fan, but, for 40-years prior to her untimely death, I was in a “mixed marriage” with a truly Bonnie Lassie. I enjoyed a few good afternoons at Somerset Park with her father and, for many years, I claimed to be: “the only neutral in Ayrshire”, as my football-reporting beat was Somerset Park one Saturday – Rugby Park the next.
So, I was delighted to see United beat Stranraer on penalties yesterday to clinch promotion to the Championship next season. I fervently hope Kilmarnock can see off Falkirk in the Premiership Play-Off final, and retain their place in the top flight, but, in truth, I am not that confident about their ability to do this. In which case, I will relish the return of the Senior Ayrshire Derby next season.
Ayr United shoot-out hero Greg Fleming
Yesterday's game was hardly a great advert for Scottish fitba, in fact, for long spells, it was dire. However, when the penalty shoot-out became inevitable, I just knew, Greg Fleming would emerge as the hero. And so it proved. Well done Ian McCall and his boys. And, lest I forget, a well done too to Queen's Park, who beat Clyde in the League One Play-Off.

BUT. Condolences to that hardy band, the East Stirlingshire fans, following their loss to Edinburgh City and consequent demotion to the Lowland League. 'Shire have been flirting with losing their league status for a long time, finally, the trap door has opened.
I can only hope, they regroup and in time, find their way back into senior football. I also wish City well “upstairs”. If they need encouragement, the former Highland League clubs who were admitted through league extension, have not done too badly.
City's promotion shows, the pyramid works. I would, however, like to see still greater re-organisation of Scottish football, with the Highland, Lowland, East of Scotland an South of Scotland Leagues and the Juniors combining into a single organisation. I know this goes against the Aye Beenism which is endemic in Scotland, but, to me, it makes sense.









THE Scotsman this morning has printed on its website what it claims are snatched pictures of the new Rangers kit for next season – along with suggestions the RTA will wear the new strip in Saturday's Scottish Cup Final.
Call me an old curmudgeon if you must, but, I have never liked advertising on team kits. I know commercial firms put a lot of cash into clubs, but, the idea of having a commercial logo emblazened across a strip has never appealed to me.
As far as I am concerned – this was the best Rangers strip.

This was the best Celtic strip.

This was the best Scotland strip.
Not a bad team - in a terrific strip
The NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB – the most commercially-successful leagues in the world manage to get by without commercial sponsorship on strips, why cannot the paupers in the SPFL?








No comments:

Post a Comment